Would you like to contribute to the "PRiSM Presents" webinar series? SUBMIT AN APPLICATION for consideration!
Pediatric and Adolescent Concussion Rehabilitation:
Examination, Intervention, and Interdisciplinary Case Discussion
Thursday, May 11 @ 8 pm ET/7 pm CT
Amanda Black, CAT(C), PhD - University of Calgary
Armand Scurfield, MD, FAAP, CAQSM - Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
Kyle Clark, PT, DPT, SCS, CSCS - Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
Matthew Grady, MD FAAP, CAQSM - Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Michelle Feairheller, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS, CSCS - Nemours Children’s Hospital
Moderators: Tamara McLeod, PhD, ATC, FNATA - AT Still University
- Educate healthcare professionals on the standard of care for concussion rehabilitation including examination, identification of postconcussive impairment domains (cervical musculoskeletal, vestibulo-oculomotor, autonomic dysfunction and exertional intolerance, and motor function impairments), intervention, and return to play.
- Discuss when referral to additional providers is warranted and review determination of the appropriate provider based on patient deficits.
- Present case-based education on varying complexities of concussion cases through an interdisciplinary panel discussion with a focus on examination, intervention, and return to play.
Register Here: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_V2o_qE3_QK6zvLfYxZyBAg
On Demand Webinars:
PRiSM Journal Club: International Sports Medicine
Thursday, January 19 @ 8 pm ET/7 pm CT
Amanda Black, PhD (Canada)
Javier Besomi, MD (Chile)
Dai Sugimoto, PhD ATC CSCS (Japan)
Cordelia W. Carter, MD
David Howell, PhD
Please join us for a journal club with these panelists to discuss three scientific articles that are representative of current pediatric sports research in their respective countries. Attendees will have an opportunity to discuss these articles with the panelists in relation to their own experiences.
- Understand geographical differences and treatments in pediatric sports medicine.
- Develop new contexts by which to understand these geographical differences and treatments.
- Consider factors regarding these geographical differences and treatments and potential application to other settings
Association between concussion education and concussion knowledge, beliefs and behaviors among youth ice hockey parents and coaches: a cross sectional study
Amanda M. Black; PhD; Keith Owen Yeates, PhD; Shelina Babul, BSc PhD; Alberto Nettel-Aguirre, PhD; and Carolyn A. Emery, PhD
Hip arthroscopy following slipped capital femoral epiphysis fixation: chondral damage and labral tears findings
Javier Besomi; Valeria Escobar; Santiago Alvarez; Juanjose Valderrama; Jaime Lopez; Claudio Mella; Joaquin Lara; and Claudio Meneses
Effect of Graft Rupture Prevention Training on Young Athletes After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
An 8-Year Prospective Intervention Study
Tatsuhiro Kawashima, PT; Yorikatsu Omi, PhD PT; Setsurou Kuriyama, MD PhD; Takahiko Hoshida, MD; and Dai Sugomoto, PhD ATC
Wasn't able to attend? Visit the link below to watch the full webinar!
Diversity Award Candidates of PRiSM 2022
Panelists: Elliot Greenberg, PT DPT PhD; Neeraj M. Patel, MD MPH MBS; Matthew D. Milewski, MD;
Nirav Pandya, MD; Stephanie Logterman, MD; Angela Mercurio; and Sophia Ulman, PhD - Moderator
- Discuss how insurance status influences rehabilitation and treatment outcomes
- Review the causes and consequences of delayed surgery for tibial spine fractures
- Discuss how gender, race/ethnicity, and socioeconomic status influences treatment
- Provide an open forum for discussion of diversity-specific topics related to sports medicine practice
Pediatric and Adolescent ACL Injuries: Rehabilitation and Return to Play Evaluation
Panelists: Henry Ellis, MD, Michelle Feairheller, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS, CSCS, Nicole Friel, MD, Sophia Ulman, PhD
Adam Weaver, PT, DPT, Julie Dyke, PT, DPT, SCS, CSCS, Corinna Franklin, MD, Mia Katzel, PT, DPT, Christin Zwolski, PT, DPT, PhD, Lauren Butler, PT, DPT, SCS
- Discuss principles in pediatric ACL rehabilitation and return to play assessments
- Review evidence based pediatric ACL rehabilitation to include protocols, difference in operative and non-operative philosophies, and other modalities including the use of blood flow restriction
- Introduce the use of motion capture in pediatric injury including return to play evaluation
- Present return to play considerations following treatment of a pediatric ACL injury
PRiSM Journal Club: Disparities in Pediatric Sports Medicine
Read the articles below to follow along with the webinar:
Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury: Towards a Gendered Environmental Approach
Joanne L Parsons, Stephanie E Coen, Sheree Bekker
Evaluation of General and Musculoskeletal Health Literacy Disparities in Pediatric Sports Injury Patient and Guardian Populations
Lisa Su, MS, Kylie Shaw, BA, Rebecka O. Serpa, BS, Jonathan Grotts, MA, Richard Bowen, MD, Jennifer Beck, MD
Racial Disparities in Concussion Knowledge and Symptom Recognition in American Adolescent Athletes
Jessica Wallace, Tracey Covassin, Ryan Moran
PRiSM Presents: Founders Journal Club
Read the articles below to follow along with the webinar:
Articles by Mininder Kocher, MD, MPH
- Outcomes of Physeal-Sparing ACL Reconstruction with Iliotibial Band Autograft in Skeletally Immature Prepubescent Children
- Differentiating Between Septic Arthritis and Transient Synovitis of the Hip in Children: An Evidence-Based Clinical Prediction Algorithm
Articles by Christina Master, MD
- Differences in sport- related concussion for female and male athletes in comparable collegiate sports: a study from the NCAA- DoD Concussion Assessment, Research and Education (CARE)!Consortium
- Vision and Vestibular System Dysfunction Predicts Prolonged Concussion Recovery in Children
Articles by Mark Paterno, PT, PhD, MBA, SCS, ATC
- Clinical Factors That Predict a Second ACL Injury After ACL Reconstruction and Return to Sport
- Patient and Parent Perceptions of Rehabilitation Factors That Influence Outcomes After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction and Clearance to Return to Sport in Adolescents and Young Adults
PRiSM Presents: Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S) and the Female Athlete Triad
Panelists: Tara Collingwood, MS, RDN, CSSD, LDN, ACSM-CPT / Svetlana Dani, MD / Cassidy Foley Davelaar, DO, FAAP, CAQSM / Ed Ryan, ATC, LAT
- Identify RED-S and Female Athlete Triad
- Learn Treatment recommendations
- Identify team members strengths at taking on REDs and FAT
PRiSM Presents: Pediatric and Adolescent ACL Injuries: Addressing the Controversies
Panelists: Cordelia Carter MD, Henry Ellis MD, Michael Saper DO ATC CSCS, Marc Tompkins MD, Jay Lee MD, Carl Nissen MD, Melissa Christino MD FAAOS, Christin Zwolski PT DPT OCS, Mark Paterno PT PhD MBA SCS ATC
- Discuss controversies associated with the treatment of pediatric ACL tears including surgical and non-surgical options, technique options, graft options, and rehabilitation/return to play decisions.
- Present clinical cases to illustrate existing controversies. A case-based approach to emphasize when controversies exist.
- Introduce age and development-based concepts to provide an algorithmic approach to the treatment of a pediatric ACL injuries